Friday, September 5, 2008

TRUTH: hear. . .study. . .apply. . .

I am a member at Progressive Missionary Baptist Church, where Rev. Ken Williams is pastor. I admire his speaking abilities, first and foremost, because he is truly filled with the Holy Spirit. Whether we are having Bible Study, Sunday School, or are in Sunday Service, Rev. Williams' character doesn't go unnoticed. He is not only the Pastor, but he has provided the church with an atmosphere of family love.

His ability to arouse emotions (pathos) greatly depends on his character, as well. I say this because it is not himself who causes the emotions of the congregation to be aroused. It is the Holy Spirit that dwells in him that causes the flood of emotions. However, Rev. Williams' character of humbleness allows him to pray that flesh be removed from his sermon and that he be filled with the Holy Spirit, in order to edify the congregation with a message from God. The giving of oneself, so that God may be glorified is the character I seek, as well.

Not only does he utilize ethos and pathos, but he also uses logos. His knowledge of the Bible and his deep personal relationship with God brings forth a message of truth. Rev. Williams will let everyone know that Pilgrim Missionary Baptist is a Bible teaching church! And that's the way it should be. . . because too many people are receiving the wrong information in order to make them feel good. Just because we think we feel good now doesn't mean we are going to make it to Heaven. That's why I love hearing him speak because I didn't come to church to play games. I didn't just come to church to feel good. I came to be convicted by the Holy Spirit. I'm on a mission and I need to know what to do, in order to be saved and to have a deep personal relationship with God. I want to hear the truth, study the truth, and apply the truth - that I may be saved.

The personal qualities that I possess that make me persuasive are ethos, pathos and logos. My character is pleasing, friendly, and kind. I show no partiality. I am able to arouse the emotions of people because of my speaking style. God has given me a gift - the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when I have a great passion for a topic I'm speaking about you will be able to tell because of my overall appearance. To be honest with you - you wouldn't be able to distinguish if I didn't care for the topic, as well. And the only reason you wouldn't know this is because I would use wording and logic to support my presentation.

No comments: