Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sugar & Spice and Everything Nice

It is crystal clear to me that men and women use different languages. Society has taught us, as babes, our "role" in the world. Baby girls are spoken to in soft, cute, delicately worded language.
Baby boys are spoken to, at least by men, in a huskier voice. The language used towards boys is more macho.

Young boys are taught that boys don't cry. Many would think this was the old way of raising boys but it is still happening. I was relaxing on the beach and a 11 or 12-year-old-boy was playing catch (with a football) with his dad. The young boy's uncles were present, as well. They had the most interesting conversations. . . well if that's what you call them. Some of the comment were: "You catch like a girl." "Get up! Your not hurt." "You bet not cry."

This is the language our young boys grow up hearing and this is the basis of the their adult life. They are encouraged to be tuff and independent, at the least. Now I can see why men have so much trouble asking for help (especially directions) because they should already know or be able to figure it out.

Our young girls are taught to use certain language. I remember hearing older ladies saying, "young ladies don't talk like that." Young girls are taught to be delicate, emotional, caring and a host of other draining tasks. Our language is rewarding in some ways but it fails to give us the respect we deserve in other areas.

1 comment:

Stephany said...

Settle4What,

I must admit that this may be the norm, but there are numerous exceptions and I know many young girls that I played with that were not sugar & spice and everything nice. I was raised playing baseball, football, fishing, shooting a shotgun, hunting water snakes and playing sports with boys throughout my life. I was involved in a couple of fist fights in the sixth grade and once knocked a young man, “David,” to the ground and gave him a black eye in the process. It was normal for me to climb trees and boys learned quickly not to mess with me. However, I could be found playing with neighborhood girls, skating at the park, dancing and just being girls. This really paid off in middle and high school, where I could interact and be comfortable with both boys and girls, or you could say young men and women. While other girls were sitting on the beach trying to look great and attract guys, I was playing with the guys! Great fun too.

I raised my two sons to interact with both girls and boys and they were told that crying was normal and that they could share their emotions. I even got them Cabbage Patch Dolls one Christmas and they have both worn pink dress shirts to a wedding. We have laughed and cried together! I also made sure that they took personal relationship classes in college, to assist them with the skills necessary to develop and keep important relationships.

I will most definitely work to make sure my granddaughter has the same opportunities that I did, as it makes life fun and fulfilling. I will however try to make sure she doesn’t get in any fist fights!