Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Hope Nobody Saw That!

There are many nonverbal behaviors that can be misinterpreted. The most embarrassing misinterpretation of nonverbal communication, is to think that someone is waving and saying "hi," to you, but before ya know it, they're rushing pass you, with open arms, excited to see someone else. Then all you can do is feel a little stupid. . . in hopes that nobody else saw what just happened!

The way that excessive miscommunication of nonverbal behaviors can be avoided is to pay better attention to the person who is sending the message.

In my case, I should have been cautious in interpreting the nonverbal message. I could have taken my time to see if I really recognized the person. I should have also looked at their body position and eyes better. By taking the time to do this I could have noticed if their body position was turned towards me and I could have noticed if their eyes were looking pass me.

My failure to give proper attention to nonverbal cues casued me some embarrassment. I reacted quickly because I would hate for it to be someone I did know and I failed to wave.

No comments: